Those of you who recall the great craft closet organization last fall might remember the craft drawers I meticulously labeled so that I would never, ever forget where I put my eyelet setter or vellum adhesive. Oh, it was bliss. I may have back-slid on some of my projects--my laundry is back to where you could hide a sheepdog in the enormous heap of clean clothes that has piled up on the chair next to the bed and I haven't cleaned the glass shelves in the kitchen since, well, a year ago today, as it turns out, but by golly, my craft closet has been neat as a pin, thanks to those labels that remind me where precisely everything goes. It would be blasphemous to say I loved those labels more than God Himself, so I'm not going to say that. Nor do I want to risk jinxing my marriage or my health by comparing my love specifically of the accessory drawer labels with my love of Alpay or my emotional attachment to certain non-essential body parts. Suffice to say I just really liked those labels a lot.
But then Alpay found not one but two labels in the pool of kitty barf he stepped into on his way out of the bathroom Sunday morning. Later in the afternoon, I caught Lickity Split on his tippy-toes, clawing at the craft closet drawer with alacrity until a label popped off and dropped to the floor, which Snapdragon then picked up chewed with great relish. An intervention followed, after which I removed every single label from every drawer.
I think it's useful to share cautionary tales, because how else are you supposed to know that certain harmless-looking things could be dangerous? When we brought the kittens home last year, I knew to be careful about the blind cords after a co-worker lost a kitten in such a way. In the same vein, toilet lids should always be closed--not only do they pose a risk for pets (who may not be able to get a grip on slippery sides) but sadly it's a risk for toddlers as well. Likewise, dental floss and even those traditional kitty favorites-- yarn and twine--are terribly dangerous if ingested, as they can get caught in internal organs. What else? The ASPCA has a terrific list of plants poisonous to cats, dogs, and horses. And I've always been careful to keep chest drawers closed--or to locate critters before closing drawers--after another friend lost her kitty who panicked and died after being accidentally trapped in the small space between the back of a chest and the back of its drawers.
I love the term "furkids" because that's exactly what pets are: they're like children, with all their beauty, grace, and silly antics. But like children, they tend to get into things. It our job as "furparents" to keep them safe, even if that means sacrificing a little time--or a little organization.
Above: Back when they could still both fit on the same shelf of their beloved cat tree.